Traficom can issue you the driving license for a passenger car (B-license) already on the age of 17 if there are special reasons for this.
You can apply for the Driving License Permit for a passenger car (B-license) on the age of 16 on the earliest. If you are issued the age exception and the driving license permit, you can participate in the B-license theory exam and participate in the driving exam as soon as you turn into 17 years of age.
Special reasons are, for example, difficulties in traveling to work, work placement, school, or a regular, goal-oriented hobby:
- long distances between home and work/study/hobby
- lack of public transport services
- traveling lasts at least an hour each way due to lack of public transport services, or the time spent waiting for public transport services lasts at least an hour on most days of the week.
In addition, the following can be taken into consideration in the assessment:
- unforeseen changes in the circumstances of family members sharing the same household (for example, the illness or death of a parent or another family member with a driving license)
- travel or transportation needed in order to secure the livelihood of family members sharing the same household and for taking care of crucial tasks.
Traficom application form must be used when applying for an age exemption permit. You can fill in the electronic form and send it as an email attachment or alternatively send it by post.
Depending on the reason for the application, one of the following must be attached to the application form:
- Certificate of student status, if the exemption permit is sought for traveling to an educational establishment because of distance or missing connections of public transport including information about the place of study (establishment and/or address)
- Educational establishment’s proof of a need to travel, if the exemption permit if sought for travel to work internship or on-the-job learning
- Verification of employment or work experience by the employer, if the exemption permit is sought for travel to work resulting from the distance to work or missing public transport
- Proof of a need to travel by the employer, if the exemption permit is being sought for travel to work or work internship, and the need for a driving license is connected with carrying out the work
- Verification about regular and goal-oriented sports or other hobby activities written by the club, coach, association, institute or other similar entity
- A medical certificate or other certificate from a healthcare professional which makes clear the limitations presented by the health condition of the applicant or their close relative for purposes of travel or taking care of essential matters, if the exemption permit is being sought for essential travel resulting from the health condition of the applicant or their close relative
- Other document (such as an informal document written by the guardian) describing the essential need to travel, if the exemption permit is being sought for reasons other than above.
The application and attachments are to be sent to Traficom.
- E-mail: [email protected] or
- Post mail:
The decision, both positive and negative, charges a fee according to the payment provision (100€). The bill is sent to the customer once the decision has been made. The processing time for the application is currently two month.
Read more on Age Exception on Ajokortti-info.